Click on this link for the Mental Health Self-Referral Intake Form
If you are experiencing a mental health crisis, call the local crisis line at 519-336-3445. For a list of crisis and help lines please click here
RFHT offers structured, short-term clinical services to those individuals ages16+ experiencing challenges in their life. Our focus is to educate and motivate individuals towards developing goals and skills that will support their mental and emotional well-being. Please click here to read Mental Health Service Agreement Informed Consent and Authorization.
Please remember that clinical services do not allow space to support complex/long-term support/services. Clinical services are through a Trauma-Informed Lens that is not long-term treatment. Mental health intake screening assesses if a client’s needs fit within the scope of RFHT counselling services. Appropriate referral suggestions may be offered as part of the intake process.
To access short term counselling services (as explained above), please complete the Mental Health Intake referral form through this link
OR you can print/fill out (click here for link to paper copy) and drop it off at 1150 Pontiac Dr., Sarnia or fax it to 519-491-2371 or mail to 1150 Pontiac Dr., Sarnia.
ACCESSING OUR SHORT-TERM COUNSELLING SERVICES (MAX 8 sessions)
- Individual counselling is available to patients whose doctor is part of a referral FHO Physician group (see list here). A physician referral is no longer required.
- Rapids Family Health Team does not provide crisis services. If you are experiencing a mental health crisis, call the local crisis line at 519-336-3445.
Clients are required to use all of their EAP/ Group Benefits Plan prior to accessing RFHT counselling services.
- Some employee benefit programs provide coverage for counselling services, this is called EAP. Some employers have group benefits plan with a specific provider that covers the cost of counselling services. Your HR personnel can provide you with specific details on how to access these services.
- RFHT has limited resources to be able to continue to provide free access to counselling services. Therefore, if a client does not require all 8 sessions within a 6-month time frame, the client will be discharged from mental health services. Clients who require counselling in the future are able to request an intake assessment 18 months from their last session.
- MENTAL HEALTH INTAKE PROCESS - Once you submit the Mental Health Intake Form a Mental Health Intake Worker will call you as soon as possible to complete a screening appointment. This is not a counselling appointment; it is a 20-minute screening appointment to assess your primary concern and identify which resources best meet your current needs and make referrals as deemed appropriate.
- Services are offered to individuals 16 years or older
You can gain the most from psychotherapy when:
- You recognize that talking about your feelings and your thoughts is important
- You understand that bringing a change requires work on your part and will take time
- You are prepared to take responsibility for trying out new avenues as discussed during psychotherapy sessions
- You are willing to come regularly for your psychotherapy appointments and participate actively
The Role of the Counsellor/Therapist:
Through a non-judgmental and empathic therapeutic approach, the counsellor/therapist will bring extensive professional knowledge and best-practice clinical skills to help you:
- Understand your problem(s) and your strengths from a wider point of view
- Identify alternative courses of action and help you to understand the possible results of these actions
- Find a sense of direction and support you through the work you undertake
- Encourage you to make necessary decisions and support you while you carry them out.
Workshops & Groups
In addition to Individual, Couple and Family Therapy we provide Group Therapy and Educational Workshops facilitated by the clinical social workers:
EXCELLENT & FREE Resources:
For more online mental health support resources (click here).